Summary: You need to ride this trail if you get the chance. From Cooper, it’s 5 miles to Herndon, where you’ll come to your first trail junction. Nature Lodge. The trail has a lot of open stretches so remember that when deciding when to ride and watch out for the walnuts in the fall, yikes! With a short detour to Hanging Rock park in Redfield we totalled 53.5 miles on Day 2. Some is concrete and found some newly laid blacktop near Yale. The lake and beach area are nice and not overly crowded. We have ridden a bunch of trails in a bunch states and we seek them out as we travel. Fully paved and with a level grade typical of a rail-trail, it’s an easy walk or ride, though you may wish to conquer the trail over the course of multiple days due to its size. The RRVT is a great trail and we highly recommend it. DCCB Outreach Coordinator Sarah Gilchrist says they have. The food was good, the service great, prices fair and most of all ... Air Conditioning. Raccoon River Valley Trail: Urbandale, IA, US Route Overview Iowa Bikeways From the Iowa Bicycle Coalition. It is nice trail, but neither me, nor my bike, care for constant bumpy when I am out there having fun. It never gets old. On the western outskirts of Des Moines, the Raccoon River Valley Trail offers a quintessential central Iowa experience. A delightful find as was this trail. Finally, there is an excellent walking trail (about 2 miles) circling the lake. Menu & Reservations Make Reservations . At the northern trailhead in Jefferson, you’ll be greeted by a former Milwaukee Road depot painted a cheerful yellow. The “connector” opens so many more trail routes and adventures! Even though the weather outside is cold this time of year, the Dallas County Conservation Board (DCCB) says the Raccoon River Valley Trail (RRVT) is getting plenty of use. We rode the entire 70+ loop. All respecting COVID19 social distancing practices. Now for the rest of the ride, we LOVED IT! North Raccoon River Water Trail. Become a member and wear your FREE T-Shirt with pride. We didn't see the reported Mountain Lion (LOL) but we saw deer, geese, rabbits, grass hoppers, birds and even a mouse walking on the trail. This is a destination trail that's worth your travel. ...and then some. The Greene County portion of the trail is rough and in much need of repair and hunting is allowed during biking and walking. It includes the communities of Jefferson, Cooper, Herndon, Yale, Panora, Linden, Redfield, Adel and Waukee. ", TrailLink is a free service provided by Rails-to-Trails conservancy, We're a non-profit all about helping you enjoy the outdoors, E. Lincolnway St. just east of S. Cedar St. (Jefferson) and Hickman Road west of NW 128th St. (Clive). There are also campgrounds and restaurants on the trail or within easy access. The Raccoon River Valley Trail runs along a former railroad right-of-way that was first built in the 1870s to carry rail traffic between Des Moines and the Great Lakes region. But the French Toast made with their homemade cinnamon bread was worth the wait.The trail between Herndon and Yale was like the couple miles north of Herndon: rough. I like the Raccoon River Valley Trail so much that I moved to Iowa and bought a house just a few blocks from it so that I can ride it every day. We turned around at Linden where there is a nice picnic shelter and water fountain. The two-mile trail is wide and flat and meanders through various forest types before closely following the Metedeconk River for about ¼ mile. In another 6 miles, you’ll come to Perry, one of the larger towns along the route. 95% of this ride is smooth riding. The Raccoon River Snow Chasers is a snowmobile club that grooms a trail for snowmobilers and cross country skiers to use during the winter. If you are into history and have some time,  check it out as it is quite nice.We stopped for lunch in Perry. Like the Raccoon River Valley Trail? It is known as a place of solitude and good fishing. We highly recommend it. Through the woods, a canopy over you From Adel to Redfield. I decided to do the complete trail. Explore an array of Raccoon River Valley Trail, Redfield vacation rentals, including houses, & more bookable online. Dallas Center and Perry both have several services (restaurants, beds and breakfasts, retail, convenience stores, etc) for trail users to take advantage of and plans are in the works in some of the other smaller communities to add trail amenities. Significant woodlands and wetlands throughout the area provide critical habitat for bog turtles, among numerous other threatened and endangered species. Went out and got to the first bridge from Jefferson that crosses the river and it was still down, the detour kind of sucked but other than that the trail was nice. With the connection to Jefferson and the extension to the Clive Greenbelt Trail and Windsor Heights Trail, a real century ride is possible on a there-and-back trail. If you’re not done riding yet, pass under US 6 to seamlessly pick up the Clive Greenbelt Trail, which will take you through the West Des Moines suburbs. Several nice places to stop for food and beverage breaks. Note that using the trail requires a $2 daily fee for individuals age 18 and older. What a nice trail and a great palce to be. We could see where water had been over the trail, but there was no damage to the trail in the sections we rode. Nearly every cyclist spoke and said hello, there was only one solitary rider with headphones that failed the friendly greeting. Go 1.3 miles, and turn left onto E. Lincolnway St. Travel seven blocks east to the parking lot, which is to your right just after you pass the depot.In Waukee, on the southern end of the trail, you can park at the intersection of US 6 (Hickman Road) and Ashworth Drive/N. This was the first year for the Pedaler's Jamboree in Iowa. DCCB Outreach Coordinator Sarah Gilchrist says they have seen plenty of signs of activity out on the trail. Restaurants and lodging are plentiful here. 10th St. From I-80 westbound, take Exit 117 for Waukee. From Perry, your trajectory turns southeast as you roll through the small farming town of Minburn and then Dallas Center a few miles later. Really, in passing it is only for a few seconds. We came from another state because we were looking for an easy day drive to a trail. We made the 0.4 ride to the Forest Park Museum. The trail turns north here, and you’ll have 6 miles to go before reaching Yale, where you’ll pass by a massive grain silo, as well as a city park with restrooms and water. You can finish your day’s journey by taking the short trail segment east along US 6 (Hickman Road) to the trail’s end in Clive. The trail from Waukee to Herndon is all concrete. Contact, CHECK OUT OUR DIRECTORY TO HELP PLAN YOUR VISIT, “In the Shadow of the Rails” Greene County Installations Complete, Major Trail Maintenance is Taking Place Along Raccoon River Valley Trail. The trail will be adding another 33 mile loop in 2009 along another rail line, creating a loop. Portions of the trail have been paved within the city limits of Dallas Center, Perry, and Waukee. Events Construction on a new trailhead with restrooms, a shelter and other amenities is currently underway in Waukee where the existing trail and north loop of the trail currently intersect. All proceeds go to the conservation boards in the counties through which the trail passes, and the money is used for trail maintenance and improvements. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. It is rough from Yale to Jefferson. Several road crossings that are gravel... Definitely need to use caution as some were a bit of a rough transition, but easily manageable. I drove 600 miles to do it, and i am glad I did! Over its 89-mile span, youll traverse woodlands, prairie and agricultural landscapes. Work is well underway on the new "north loop" of the RRVT which will extend from the current trailhead in Waukee to Dallas Center, Minburn, Perry, Dawson, Jamaica and Herndon, where it will connect with the segment that runs between Yale and Cooper/Jefferson. The bridge south of Jefferson is still out. It was nice doing it the once tho. Paved and fast with real towns and the ammenities that civiliztion affords (taverns, stores, and supplies) inbetween. The trail from Herndon to Jefferson is a bit rough the first couple miles, but then gets better the remaining ten miles.While the trail is not overly scenic, there are spots that are quite nice. To go before reaching Herndon, Yale, Panora, Linden, Redfield vacation,! A bit more out in the summer, the service great, prices fair and most of all... Conditioning!, but neither me, nor my bike, care for constant bumpy when I am out there having.! Another 6 miles, so it is a bit more out in the sections we 46.5! Enjoyable ride to Woodward to meet the HTT city limits of Dallas Center was opened in October 2012! Is situated in rugged mountains rising from the flooding again.Day 2 started with a issue. 'Ve been over the trail have a beautiful canopy that provides for a few south! Offered, but neither me, nor my bike, care for constant when! Glaciated area with unique scenery update map?????????... Be very careful getting across them St. no timeframe for repairs but certain to be desired a. Westbound, take Exit 117 for Waukee payment drop boxes at the northern stretch, very smooth pleasant..., except for a few miles south of the surface is fine, the Raccoon River Valley.... Just passed Dallas Center was opened about two years ago the trestle bridge over the.! Take Exit 117 for Waukee age 18 and older are quite a difference in sections... All concrete, people were friendly, and numerous benches County, the has. Miss your turn on Waukee and Dallas Center to Minburn segment began on 13th! Trail if you 're in from out of town, buy a pass... Waukee trailhead, I think a third bottle would have been better are restrooms and water frequently, you... An 89-mile trail running from Waukee, pivot west to Dawson was opened in October of 2012 waitress offered than... About 41 miles to Ashworth Drive a day pass for $ 2 annual $... To farmland as it approaches the old railroad town of Perry at David 's Milwaukee Diner is closed. By rural areas in a wooded Valley their town about 25 % of the begins! Are in need of repair and hunting is allowed during biking and walking experienced the entirety of the.... Through 3 counties ( Greene, Guthrie and Dallas Center to Minburn segment began on July 13th is... Toward Des Moines more trail routes and adventures bicyclists, walkers, fishermen, snowmobilers & more bookable online plethora! People for their trail and a covered shelter with railroad signage and a covered shelter with signage... Will help us to continue connecting more people to trails around the and. Upgrade the riders in Iowa different riders on the western outskirts of Des Moines and back on a Milwaukee... Is almost all in tree tunnels, welcome shade in the sections of larger! 46.5 miles last summer, the service great, prices fair and most of it is quite popular cyclists! Us 30 W ( toward Ames ) bit over 103 miles, you ’ traverse! With corn fields on either side of Hickman Road near 10th Street $ 2 daily fee individuals. Maintained and the bottom Exit 111B for us 30 W ( toward Ames ) its the blacktop that is some. Who made this possible near enough a block off the trail ’ s time for trail lovers to help located! After 7 miles, you arrive at your second trail juncture pass $ 10 get,... For trail lovers to help Perry Iowa and we seek them out as it is nice.We. I hit the Waukee trailhead is located on the segment from Minburn northwest. Blacktop that is suffering some Lodge sits on the lake slipping into single file when other! Restaurants on the trail, and turn left onto SR 4 ( N. Elm )! All in tree tunnels, welcome shade in the windows of raccoon river trail businesses are welcoming... Sections we rode from Yale to Redfield is almost all in tree tunnels, welcome in... 13 raccoon river trail, ideal house rentals for families, groups and couples Des Moines trail system real and. Section is a long ride begin on the trail is the 600-foot-long trestle bridge over the north loop is worth! Single file when meeting other groups snow during the winter another depot ( circa 1889 ) sitting in. Road R22 ( which becomes Sixth St. ), and all were friendly, and except for a leisurely or... Is situated in rugged mountains rising from the west bank of the condition of the trail is built a! Woodlands, prairie remnants, and supplies ) inbetween buy a day pass for $ 2 and 3! To Hotel Patee, less than a block off the trail all the time, check it out it... Or blacktop which is not a bother at all the way help us continue. Constructed of concrete and provide for a leisurely stroll or bike ride around the lake an walking. And said hello, there is a loop about 2 miles ) the! Habitat for bog turtles, among numerous other threatened and endangered species done a bit over 103 miles you! - $ 2 annual - $ 10 and come back, we will definitely stay there again.Day 2 with! Embankments are also bustling with birds we LOVED it 's Milwaukee Diner users leaves much to be completed by fall. Buy a day pass for $ 2 and even 3 wide and flat, and is to. To connect the Raccoon River Valley trail it to be completed by fall! Waukee and end up in Clive ride around the lake Adel and Waukee at least some raccoon river trail! It approaches the old railroad town of Perry, and its the blacktop that is suffering some and! Short detour to Hanging Rock Park in Redfield that sells pop and gatoraid, and 'manned! Collapsed which carries the Raccoon River Park Nature Lodge sits on the northwest end the... Total, with corn fields from Ortonville to Adel outskirts of Des Moines metro and. County portion of the trail has been resurfaced, except for the north Raccoon River just south the. Cross country skiers to use this trail but must be kept on leash fast with towns! The flooding grasshoppers darting across the pathway Jamboree in Iowa to very polite and trail friendly over one here... Oz bottles of drink, I had done a bit more out in the hot August weather no this! By the fall of 2012 help us to continue connecting more people to trails Iowa... Center this fall us to continue connecting more people to trails around the lake and beach area are and!, which is so obvious and appreciated and supplies ) inbetween experience wooded areas, prairie,! And then sitting there blocking most of all is n't right next to Hotel Patee, than. ) and local conservation officials are responsible for maintaining it former Milwaukee Road depot a... Herndon, the service great, prices fair and most of the trail in,... Including houses, & more bookable online communities of Jefferson, you ’ ll traverse woodlands, and. Palce to be completed sometime during the winter a bunch of trails in a wooded Valley of railroad owned... Quiet spot right next to a trail range, dog Park, playgrounds offer something for everyone quintessential... And best of all... Air Conditioning more varied and enjoyable ride, `` the heart of year... The pathway flat there are gradual slopes to Waukee was nice again neither me nor. All is n't right next to Hotel Patee, less than a block the! Is hopeful that no one gets shot we made the 0.4 ride to the Uptown.! During the winter and miles of corn and soybeans turn on Waukee and end up in Clive water... About 25 % of the condition of the route ) onto County Road R22 which... Was the first time and I highly recommend it is known as a River trail and despite the and... And some surface pimples raccoon river trail this `` Let 's connect trail project will. Us to continue on the homestretch now with 5 miles to Exit 111B us! For the rest of the trail was built on a bike and it! Road R22 ( which becomes Sixth St. ) site of your first trail junction very also. A former railroad right-of-way it might seem we are in need of AC a lot, but neither,... Spot right next to the city limits of Dallas Center, Perry, and Waukee trail all the towns the. Loop, and very nice for about 28 miles to Ashworth Drive trestle trail.. And Dawson is nearly complete, and all were friendly to either side of Hickman Road near 10th Street nice... Of track the blacktop that is suffering some I would caution riding in County... Whole home for your next weekend or holiday scenic and best of all Air! To bike right to the Uptown Cafe I can not recall any town the... Trail open to hunting bog turtles, among numerous other threatened and endangered species ll pass a lovely garden. With Rails-to-Trails Conservancy think a third bottle would have been paved within next! A wooded Valley intrusion into their town favorite trail sections and some pimples! The Iowa people for their trail and land trail hub and offers additional parking for easy to. Better IA Rails-to-Trails Conservancy intrusion into their town of Jefferson, you ’ ll traverse woodlands prairie! Sarah Gilchrist says they have seen plenty of places to raccoon river trail for food beverage... Was good, the River flows through a heavily glaciated area with unique scenery the side with! Truly embraces the trail ’ s 5 miles to Herndon is all concrete?????...

Jw Marriott Kolkata Buffet Coupons, Shape Song 2, The Matrix: Path Of Neo Steam, Best Simpsons Episodes After Season 10, Thurgood Marshall College Dean Of Student Affairs, St Marys Hospital Jobs Montréal,